Phew! I’ve finally destressed a tiny bit and have found some time to write this one up for you guys. iColorama S has changed its UI since I created this, so I’m going back and trying to find all the tools I used. The only other app I used was trusty old Snapseed.
This is the image I started with.
The first thing I did was choose Form>Deforms and selected the 3rd preset. This gives you the basic planet. I adjusted the settings slightly, to get it looking just the way I wanted. Then, I swear I was able to adjust settings to change the position of this new planet on my image. I didn’t want it dead center, so I moved it. In this new version, I don’t know if thats possible. I couldn’t replicate it, but the images below are from when I created the original.
Next, I believe I used Forms>Glass and chose the 4th preset. I adjusted the size of the effect, so it would look like smaller particles. I chose to mask out the effect on the planet, so it only showed up around it. I think I let some of the effect come in on the planet at a very low opacity, just to get a hint of it.
I continued to play, and ended up using Effect>Pixels and the 21st preset.
As you can see, it doesn’t look right, at this stage. There needs to be another layer of texture or light on top of it, to make it all appear to be part of the same image. I chose to add light, because if you’re looking at a planet in space, there’s got to be some light source somewhere. I used Effect>Light and the 8th preset. Then, I adjusted the settings until the light was in the spot I wanted.
(Note: As I try to recreate this with the updated version, its not working. There seems to be a bug, where the light effect I used is showing a completely different effect. I’m sure this will be sorted out, and I will send them a note about it.)
As you can see, the light makes a huge difference to the image. Now, I wanted to play with the colors a bit. I chose to use Tone>Lomo and the 9th preset at a low opacity. My guess is it was somewhere around .20.
It looks good at this point, but I wanted some more contrast, and for the side furthest from the light source to be a bit darker. For that, I took the above image into snapseed, where I added a little contrast and a subtle center focus, with the center being the light source.
And there you have it! It looks easy when its laid out in front of you like this, but I had no plan in place when I started, so it took a little while to create. I just allowed myself to play, and decided what direction to go in, after each step. Not a bad way to be creative 🙂