I’ve had a few weeks to play with Filterstorm now and I still don’t feel completely comfortable using it. Its a deep app that others have said is like photoshop in your pocket. It certainly appears to be a powerful app, if you can master it, but there is a steep learning curve. This isn’t an app that I’d recommend for beginners. If you’re a professional photographer, or someone that has a grasp of most of photoshop’s features, I’d say give Filterstorm a try. No matter what level you’re at, watching the tutorial is a must!
Here are some screenshots of the app to give you an idea of what it has to offer.
Because its a complex app, there are many pros and cons to Filterstorm.
- The noise reduction and tone mapping filters are really great.
- The vignette filter gives you more control than in other apps.
- The curves adjustment filter is better than most apps.
- Layers, blending modes, and masking….oh my.
- Filters can be applied to the whole image or painted into specific areas.
- You can load 2 images and blend them together.
- You can set up automations to run a number of adjustments on your image. Think of it as an action in photoshop or what other apps call a process.
- History allows you to go back to any point in the editing process.
- The automations I downloaded didn’t work at all.
- Steep learning curve.
- Almost too many tools on the screen at once.
Filterstorm might be easier to use on the larger screen of the iPad, but its still useable on the iPhone/iPod. Using the strong features of this app (tone mapping and noise reduction) along with a more user friendly app like Snapseed, can dramatically improve your image quality. If you’re advanced in post processing, you might be able to make the most of Filterstorm. If you’re new to post processing, this app might be more frustrating than useful.
Compatible with iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad.Requires iOS 4.2 or later.
***Full disclosure, I did not pay for this app, I asked for a promo code so I could review it. I’m not being offered any compensation for this review. ***